Sign in to follow this  
Alphabet Soup

I'm perplexed here: Globalist Corporation attempting to spur good from other corporations...

:jackie

Unilever has threatened to withdraw ads from platforms like Google and Facebook if they do not do enough to police extremist and illegal content.

Unilever said consumer trust in social media is now at a new low.

"We cannot have an environment where our consumers don't trust what they see online," said Unilever's chief marketing officer Keith Weed.

He said it was in the interest of digital media firms to act before "advertisers stop advertising".

Mr Weed said companies could not continue to support an online advertising industry where extremist material, fake news, child exploitation, political manipulation, racism and sexism were rife.

"It is acutely clear from the groundswell of consumer voices over recent months that people are becoming increasingly concerned about the impact of digital on wellbeing, on democracy - and on truth itself," Mr Weed said.

"This is not something that can brushed aside or ignored. "

Unilever has pledged to:

• Not invest in platforms that do not protect children or create division in society
  • Only invest in platforms that make a positive contribution to society
  • Tackle gender stereotypes in advertising
  • Only partner with companies creating a responsible digital infrastructure

According to research firm Pivotal, Facebook and Google accounted for 73% of all digital advertising in the US in 2017.

During 2017, Google brought in £4.4bn in revenue from online advertising, while Facebook collected £1.8bn, according to eMarketer.

Experts in digital media say that more buyers of advertising will have to join Unilever to spur change.

"The advertising ecosystem contains so many players, so for Facebook and Google to see any dent in the profits they make, there will need to be many companies that not only put their hat in the ring, but also follow through on these threats," Sam Barker, a senior analyst at Juniper Research told the BBC.

Imagine me an anti-corporatist finding myself on the same side as a huge globalist corporation like Unilever :suicide

Well further proof that you can find common ground with anyone.

:dunnox

It's not because they want to do something good. It's because an ad for body wash right next to a giant swastika hurts their brand.

:Doubt

The educated consumer already knows that Advertising in the digital market is controlled by algorithms beyond the brands control, the outrage mafia are buffoons who will respond like buffoons every time.  Managing them is simply sharing in the outrage and temporarily pulling the adds, the key being temporary (side note this also usually generates increased sales for them).  What is being said here feels more like a permanent foot down stance. 

Don't be confused though, this is still an authoritarian stance to take hence my perplexed feelings of "Serving the greater good but by stomping your feet and threatening to take your ball away." On the one hand I'm glad to see someone tell these shitters to clean up the mess they made, on the other I'm disgusted by the extreme measures that they need to take to make these people do the right thing.

I am a complicated and often contradictory person :slop

• Like 1

there is no goodwill here

the internet is fast dying to advertisers. People are getting increasingly woke and are developing a greater immunity to corporate shit

unilever's products perpetuate everything about what their pledge is supposedly against. This is just their sad attempt at keeping control over a free-thinking public

don't be a sheep, and don't believe their lies even for a second

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Used Panty Vendor said:

the internet is fast dying to advertisers. People are getting increasingly woke and are developing a greater immunity to corporate shit

unilever's products perpetuate everything about what their pledge is supposedly against. This is just their sad attempt at keeping control over a free-thinking public

Bingo.

So glad I buy my soap from hipsters on Etsy. :bow

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

27 minutes ago, Used Panty Vendor said:

26 minutes ago, Play with my pinballs Corn said:

Bingo.

If that was actually true then you wouldn't see these companies ride the outrage wave and making money from it.

Generally what happens is the stock drops, they become outraged with the mob and demand or make a change and then the stock increases to a greater number then where it started before.  All the while on the storefront side you see a general spike in sales through the entire time. 

Holy crap, even mega-conglomerates are virtue signalling now?

They should've thrown in something about sheltering refugees too imo.

Spoiler

ABS is the least jaded one of us. :mel

• Like 1

Why be Jaded when you can be woke AF

:blessed

• NegPalm 1

I am still very mad at how google has managed this.

They had a rock solid position, they have the audience and the analytics that give them the strongest position for selling advertising. They should have told these companies to eat shit. They just had to say "We do not curate our ads heavily, tough shit." and these fuckos would have had to deal with it.

But what did they do? They virtue signalled and kowtowed and now every other shit corporation threatens to pull ads in another form of virtue signalling because Google have set the precedent that they can be manipulated in this way.

It's a giant fucking circle jerk of hollow corporate virtue signalling while all their profit margins tank as a result and it's also fucking over the little guys who now earn positively anaemic sums of money from advertising where they used to make a decent amount.

• Like 3

Two things to address: 

1) It's a myth that any of these companies are suffering financial harm amidst the case of virtue signaling, every one of them has come out making more money.  Check the stock today vs the day after the scandal and be surprised by how well it worked out for them.

2) Your last point sounds like it is directed at the YouTube platform, and unfortunately that is indeed the case.  The small guy is getting fucked left and right and it is 100% Google's fault for this.  It does look like the bosses at YouTube are indeed waking up to the problem the programmers of the algorithm have created so I imagine a new "golden age" is going to come for anyone who survives this storm.

• Like 1

Just now, Alphabet Soup said:

Two things to address: 

1) It's a myth that any of these companies are suffering financial harm amidst the case of virtue signaling, every one of them has come out making more money.  Check the stock today vs the day after the scandal and be surprised by how well it worked out for them.

2) Your last point sounds like it is directed at the YouTube platform, and unfortunately that is indeed the case.  The small guy is getting fucked left and right and it is 100% Google's fault for this.  It does look like the bosses at YouTube are indeed waking up to the problem the programmers of the algorithm have created so I imagine a new "golden age" is going to come for anyone who survives this storm.

I'm happy to concede the first point, I haven't really looked into it that much. But what about all the sites that now have to resort to e-begging with big "Please donate" banners etc, or is that more to do with ad blockers?

Oh you mean like with Twitch and others like that?  Well largely the trend is to go to Patreon and other sites because you make way more money from your limited audience.  The subscription payer model is very lucrative while paid advertisements from things like YouTube takes thousands of views to generate real dollars.  The split is just that low.  You make something like 1/100th of a penny per view X length of view, or something similar to that formula.  Instead of making those micro-cents you can just convince 1% of your audience to join the lowest tier of Patreon funding and double your ad revenue.  It's just better business for a content creator. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alphabet Soup said:

Oh you mean like with Twitch and others like that?  Well largely the trend is to go to Patreon and other sites because you make way more money from your limited audience.  The subscription payer model is very lucrative while paid advertisements from things like YouTube takes thousands of views to generate real dollars.  The split is just that low.  You make something like 1/100th of a penny per view X length of view, or something similar to that formula.  Instead of making those micro-cents you can just convince 1% of your audience to join the lowest tier of Patreon funding and double your ad revenue.  It's just better business for a content creator. 

No I mean websites used to be able to cover their server costs with a few banner ads etc and now it seems like that just doesn't cut it any more. Though like you say, maybe half of it is just people who realise fan donations is more profitable. I don't really know.

I do know google fucked up though.

Oh ok now I understand.  Yea website adverts are the lowest tier of advertising revenue thanks to blockers.  Most of that market has shifted to Facebook and Twitch where they are not as often blocked and are able to intrude into your timeline forcing views.  The primary reason I made sure to not only opt out of advertising but also removed some of the backdoor ways for the software to introduce them on CR is because I not only hoped to plug up security vulnerability but also because they wouldn't even make me 2 cents on 20k views.  That's absurd. 

• Like 1