Sign in to follow this  
THE Oilgpolidt

Help me fix my car

(Using this post as a draft while I wait for the confirmation email from the 4-AGE forums)

Hello everyone.

My '95 Levin (20V Blacktop) his developed what I believe is some sort of sensor issue.

It starts from cold and will run just fine for a minute, as the revs drop while it warms up it begins to smell like it is running rich. Once it begins to reach normal operating temps the check engine light will briefly flicker on and off coinciding with the revs dropping right off and almost stalling. The ECU appears to correct for this as much as it can and it will idle okay for another minute or so at which point it will really start to roughly idle. If you give it some throttle it will rev okay until it completely warms up and you have to completely floor it in order for it to keep running. Once it totally stalls out, you can only get it started if you give it a lot of throttle (or letting it sit for five minutes).

I've documented all this the best I could with a video here (video starts at about 5 minutes of the engine running from cold):

-Action starts at about 1:25

-At 3:25 is when the check engine light comes on for the first time and it almost stalls out (with a small puff of smoke once the ECU seems to correct itself)

Here's the earlier 5 minutes of running if it's of any value:

I have replaced the coolant temp sensor at A as it was easily available, but there has been no change. Do you think it's worth also replacing the sensor at B? (Please excuse the oil leak and overall state of the engine bay, I plan on giving it some TLC once I get this sorted.)

DSCF2031.thumb.JPG.62bdbf19ce25b0e34588f0d00c541b60.JPG

Although it smells like it's running rich there's not really any smoke except for when it really starts to choke. (it was a miserable day and the stuff you can see in the video is mostly just water vapour)

Any help in diagnosing this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Does this car have any cpu components for it's emissions system? It's possible that is where the problem is originating from. 

It has an EGR valve but I don't believe it's ECU controlled, probably just vacuum controlled but It could be the issue.

It's a '95 so the ECU is only ODB-I (ODB-II was introduced in 96) so the diagnostics aren't particularly advanced, I think I can get it to display fault codes through the check engine light if I short out two pins on the diagnostic port but I haven't done that yet. I want to see what the 4AGE nerds suggest before I go any further. I may take it into a local garage and see if they can diagnose it as it's drivable for a few miles before it starts doing odd things.

4 minutes ago, Used Panty Vendor said:

If only that weeb mechanic from OA was here. Worx or whatever his original name was

If only the 4AGE forums would send out the activation email I've requested twice.

I don't think there's any sort of weird exclusivity, maybe their servers are just shit. I want access to 4AGE spergs ASAP.

Too old for onboard computer, shuts off after a few miles and is emissions related.  I think you may have a leak in the emissions system and that's what's causing the shut off. 

Unplugging the map sensor basically caused the same behaviour instantly, so I've gone out and bought some new vacuum hose and cleaner to see if that will help.

I realise, just because unplugging it causes it dump more fuel into the engine doesn't mean it is the MAP sensor that is the core problem but here's hoping...

• Like 1

So I cleaned out the sensor, and replaced the hose and took it for a drive up the road and the check engine light came on about halfway up the road, engine lost power etc.

After limping home, I pulled out the main air intake, cleaned that up a bit and most importantly also gave what I assume is the airflow sensor a good clean (it looks like a plastic stick that plugs into the main air pipe, it really looks completely useless.)

Figuring I'd done nothing, I put it all back together and fired it up, waiting for it to do it again so I could see if I could get any error codes out of it. After five minutes of idling it hadn't done anything so I took it for another drive, made it up the road and back, and then I let it idle in the driveway for another ten.

The issue may be sorted.

I'm not convinced yet though. I'll drive it again tomorrow and see how it goes.

Here is a photo of the car if anyone cares:

IMG_20160623_122049962.thumb.jpg.bec06054dad1968bd3d87203e91da718.jpg

I love this car and hope to give it some real TLC if I can get this fixed.

• Like 1

Oh, I guess it would be an air temp sensor.

I'm not convinced it being dirty would cause such noticeable behaviour, but if there was dust or something that was shorting it out and cleaning it removed that I guess it could fix that...

Still not convinced it's sorted.

So, I went for a longer, more enthusiastic drive, and it ran well the whole time, no smoke even when I was nearly running it into the red line.

Touch wood, I think that was all it needed.

• Like 1